Tuesday, March 5, 2019

March Goal--King Quilt plan and sample blocks

A few years ago my wonderful husband updated our 20+ year old bedroom.  Does anyone remember sponge painted walls?  Ours were sea green and pink!  He created a soothing, B & B look of warm browns, including a chair rail and painted baseboard.  It looks terrific!

When I saw the collection of Eliza's Indigo fabric I knew it would be perfect for our quilt.  I bought a fat quarter set (40!) but after some calculating (we have a king size bed)  hunted down a second set.  The fabric sat.  And sat.
I've dithered about, trying to find a pattern that will show off the fabric, will not need more than 80 fat quarters, and that I'm able to sew well.  Len and I have settled on Allison's No Point Stars pattern from Cluck Cluck Sew.  I like that more background fabric shows in each block (vs. a classic sawtooth star block) and that the star points don't need to be matched.
Here's where Patty's One Monthly Goal comes in.  I have to tweak Allison's pattern to change my block size.  When I sewed my first sample (above) it turned out much smaller (almost an inch!) than I had calculated.  I need to improve my seam accuracy and use bigger fabric pieces to allow for more trimming.

My goal for this month is to cut and sew until I make a block that is the correct size for my king size quilt.  I also need to do all the math--quilt dimensions, block dimensions, size of all the bits and pieces.  I intend to take enough fabric pairs to sew ten blocks while on my quilt guild retreat at the end of the month.  It may not look like much, but this will take me a while!
Follow this link to Elm Street Quilts to see what needle art goals others are striving for.  Happy March!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely fabric! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project!

    ReplyDelete