Thursday, February 28, 2019

February Goal--So Close!


Finishing my granddaughter's "I Spy" quilt was my February goal, and I am so close!
 It is backed, quilted, squared, and mostly bound.
The binding has been machine stitched to the front; 
I am almost halfway through handstitching it to the back.
 I used my walking foot to make a simple quilted grid.  
For me, fabric is the star of an "I Spy," so I am happy to keep the quilting low key.
 I made my own bias binding (it's more durable than straight-of-grain) for the first time.  I mostly followed this tutorial for continuous bias binding.  It doesn't waste fabric like the traditional method does, but in some areas (see below) the seams are very close together.
I am dutiful about labeling my quilts.  I write on a piece of fabric and turn two edges under.  The two raw edges are sewn into a quilt corner by machine as the binding is added to the top.  The turned down edges are hand stitched.

This time instead of using a micron pen I wrote with a Pentel fabric gel roller.  It is awesome!  It writes so much more easily and made a beautiful, dark line.  The package doesn't suggest it, but after being disappointed by other markers, I heat set the ink with a hot, dry iron.  I washed my sample--no smudging!

Check out the link up at Elm Street Quilts to see how well others have accomplished their One Monthly Goals!

1 comment:

  1. Great job! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete