Friday, August 20, 2010

Who Deserves Help?

Right now I'm not thinking of the big picture, socially, politically, or whatever. I'm wondering about who deserves my help--financial, emotional, practical, spiritual--on an intimate, personal level.

Does he have to be grateful? What if the problem is her fault? Should he be sorry if he's brought this on himself? Does she have to ask for help? Will he learn his lesson? Does she need to pay me back (with a favor/help)? Etc. etc. etc.

I've struggled with these sorts of questions, including one day while my mind was wandering (an all too common occurrence) during the rosary. On a Friday. During the Sorrowful Mysteries.

So Jesus died on the cross for all of us sinners. He didn't wait to be asked. He knew many of us wouldn't be grateful, wouldn't care, might not even know what he'd done--didn't DESERVE his love. He suffered anyway, to save us all, you and me.

That must be my answer, the example I'm meant to follow. I already know it's not easy. Sometimes I care more about fairness than mercy. Lord, help me.

"But God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

No comments:

Post a Comment