Thursday, June 6, 2019

June Goal: Citrus Quilt

Participating in Patty's One Monthly Goal has been a terrific motivator for me, 
helping me actually do the sewing I want to do.  
I just missed my goal in May (finishing enough star blocks to make 20) 
but have now completed it and then some--I'm up to 22 now.

This past weekend I attended my guild's annual quilt show.  
I have yet to contribute a quilt--hopefully next year.

I did find and purchase some gorgeous fat quarters.  After seeing a flying geese quilt made of gigantic HST, I was inspired to make something similar.  The citrus design is so large that it would be a shame to cut it into tiny pieces.  I went back to the vendor for more fabric, but came up a little short, requiring an online search.

Meanwhile my college daughter fell in love with the fabric and we decided she deserves this (hopefully) quick quilt.  I bought more citrus online (not much left out there) and on Monday we drove to a local store for coordinating solids.  I washed, dried, and pressed everything and today managed a bit of cutting and sewing.
 The HST are made with yellow and coral.  
There will be a blue border and the binding will be more citrus fabric; 
daughter and I both love the multi-colored vibe.

Tonight we played around with layouts and this chevron was the winner.  I also liked the flying geese (3 yellow pointed one way and 3 coral pointed the other) but this is not my quilt!
(The colors in the top photo are more accurate than the faded ones here.)

My goal for June is to finish this quilt top (chevrons plus border).  I also want to plan and begin the quilting.  I've only FMQ on small projects so far, and it typically looks pretty bad.  What I'm hoping to have the guts to do is a combination of walking foot and FMQ.  I want to mimic the citrus slices with large walking foot rings filled in with free motion segments.  We'll see.

To see the goals of Patty's other participants, visit her link up at Elm Street Quilts.

1 comment:

  1. That is great fabric! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete