Saturday, January 24, 2009

March Views

We marched for life on Thursday. Some of us spent time in the natural history and American history museums with another family, then met Len, David and Daniel at the rally on the mall. It took a long time to funnel so many people onto the street, but then the walking was steady.
An event like this one leaves my thoughts and feelings bouncing all over the place. It was exhilirating to be part of such a large, enthusiastic group. It was discouraging to think that it may not effect real change. I was close to happy tears seeing how many young people care about life--this crowd is mostly young! Yet I know many people don't understand how damaging abortion is to women (let alone their babies), and are so vehemently opposed to ending it.
-
Some quotes from the day:
-
From a sign:
Abortion
Quick
Easy way out
...for men
(so true--so many women are pressured into it by fathers and families)
-
From another sign (you can just see it on the edge of the above picture):
And for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that, "Our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken. You cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you." President Obama's inauguration address
-
While I was feeling discouraged, someone mentioned Mother Teresa, and I remembered something she once said, "God doesn't require us to succeed; he only requires that you try."

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I wish that I could have attended! I do miss being able to 'just drive into DC' to attend the march. But alas, I had to watch it on my TV. Maybe one year I will make the trek into DC in January.....only God knows if it is the cards.

    Thanks for standing up to be heard!

    Love,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete