Learning to sew is a big item on this year's school agenda. I've blocked off two mornings a week, which means that even if I slack off we'll still accomplish something.
The girls and I are working through Stitch by Stitch (thanks, Elizabeth, for the inspiration!). We started in September, creating a stitch sampler to see just what our old machine can do.
After shopping trips to aquire t-shirts, fusible webbing, and iron-on stabilizer, we were ready to begin. BTW, the shopping isn't easy for me. I am so not in my element at the fabric store. The folks there are helpful, but sometimes I'm so hazy about what I want/need that it's hard for them to answer my questions. Anyway . . .
Ta da! What we thought would be a throw-away is now a night shirt!
The appliques are ironed onto the stablized t-shirts, then the edges are stitched to prevent unraveling.
Since then, we've completed lesson one (napkins) and bought our supplies for lesson two (a variation on a placemat with pockets). More pictures to come . . .