Thursday, December 24, 2009

Hung by the Chimney With Care

Len hung the stockings several weeks ago. After the lighted tree, the mantle is my favorite Christmas decoration. I smile whenever I look at it.

These stockings are an ancient family tradition, being almost as old as me. ;-) My mom's friend, Sue, made mine when I was little. Mom copied it, creating new ones for each of my siblings. Every stocking was uniquely decorated, but mine was the best--the Christmas tree adorned with bits of cast off jewelry. When Len joined the family, Mom made his with animal ornaments. I took responsibility for Lauren's stocking, and eventually made hers with a tree like mine.We (Mom and I both made some) then followed tradition, making different designs for succeeding stockings.
-
Eventually I was no longer satisfied. David didn't like his, I didn't like Daniel's (the sequin snowflakes got bent when I ironed webbing on the back), and Joe's ornaments seemed babyish after a few years.
-
When Marianna was a few years old and overdue for her own stocking (this non-sewer procrastinated but wouldn't let her mom make one, either...), I decided to remake the boys' while creating hers. I wanted everyone to have a Christmas tree.
-
It was fun to map out the different decorations. Every tree has a candy cane and a garland shaped like mine.
-
Putting them together was NOT fun, especially because I waited so long. As I remember it now, I had a crew going in the basement, sewing on trinkets and writing names with fabric paint--Mom, Len, Lauren, me, and maybe my dad, too. When the Christmas Eve festivities were over at my in-laws', Mom and I stayed up LATE putting the pieces together. Of course, my mom did most of that work, since she can sew. Maybe that's when I glittered on the names. It's all a bit hazy now...
-
As the years have passed, I've also made stockings for the young women who have lived with us, plus some of their babies and my Rebecca, usually finishing the ordeal at the last minute. Although satisfying to complete, I have to admit I'm relieved to not be making any this year!
-
Here are a few more close-ups:Sorry, the rest of my photos came out even more blurry or dark or bright, and I'm not retaking any now! Instead of indulging myself by posting I should be making egg nog or cinnamon rolls or onion soup or breakfast casserole right now, or maybe wrapping presents. It's still too early to run out for the last groceries. :-)
-
Enjoy your day and have a blessed and happy Christmas.Still waiting for Jesus...

No comments:

Post a Comment