Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Morning Magic

It started like an ordinary day: get out of bed, make sure the teens are up, walk the dog.

Then came the call from Len (Yes, I always bring my phone along.): Becca had awakened, VERY upset (like, screaming) that I was not home, because I was supposed to be taking her to the pool. Right now (6:45 a.m.). Okay, then...

As I hurried home, I racked my brain for a way to cheer up my deluded child. Hot chocolate? No, I don't want to use food for solace. Go to the pool? Don't think so! Then it came to me. I unleashed the dog and put some water in the microwave.

By the time I got upstairs, she was quiet but still upset. I suggested we go have some "real tea" at the little table in her kitchen. She said no several times, but consented after I told her it was for me, too, and asked, "please."

The teens were gone and Daddy was still upstairs, so we had the main level all to ourselves. I gave her plates and spoons and we started setting the table. She opened the tea bags. The best moment was when I got down the real creamer and sugar bowl. She breathed, "Oh..." with satisfaction. We sat down to tea and Waverly "candy" and had a lovely time. Marianna found and joined us. It was a peaceful conclusion to a crazy scary waking up.

2 comments: